CD Tower and Virtual CD Tower
Virtual CD/DVD Server
Legal Research Programs
©2001 Academy Computer Services, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions
Installing a legal research program
Matthew Bender Authority
Matthew Bender Authority does not have a true client/server network installation. The program must be installed locally on each workstation. Each disc, or disc series, contains a setup.exe file that must be run. During the setup process a password is requested and the path to the disc(s) is registered.
- When using Matthew Bender Authority in conjunction with a Virtual CD/DVD Server, each workstation must have a drive mapping to the virtual volume of the Virtual CD/DVD Server.
- Using the Windows Explorer, navigate through this drive mapping to the Turbo-Cached/Imaged disc.
- Open the disc and double-click on setup.exe to begin the installation process for that disc. Follow the screen prompts.
- Repeat these steps for every Matthew Bender disc, or disc series.
Stand-Alone PC Installation
There are two basic methods for using Matthew Bender Authority in conjunction with a Virtual CD Tower.
You may use the standard configuration of the Virtual CD Tower, and its component software Virtual CD-ROM, to create Virtual CD discs. Then insert each Virtual CD into a Virtual drive bay and run setup.exe from each disc.
Or you may opt to use the Windows Explorer, in place of Virtual CD-ROM, to create subdirectories on the hard drive of the Virtual CD Tower.
- Place the CD into the CD Drive Bay of the Virtual CD Tower/Virtual DVD Tower.
- Open the Windows Explorer.
- Scroll the left frame of the window down, until the CD Drive Bay that contain the Matthew Bender disc appears. The volume name usually begins with MB. If there are multiple CD Drive Bays, verify that the correct CD Drive Bay is listed by ejecting the disc while watching for the volume name to disappear in the Explorer window.
- Click on the Virtual CD Tower hard drive. Generally, this is that last hard drive icon and has the volume name of VCD1.
- Once the hard drive is highlighted, select File, New, and Folder.
- Type in the volume name of the Matthew Bender disc that you wish to copy into the New Folder box. This folder will now be the destination folder for the data files copied from the Matthew bender disc. (ex: MB12345)
- Double-click on the Virtual CD Tower hard drive icon, i.e. VCD1, exposing the newly created folder where the CD data files will be copied (ex: MB12345).
- Single-click on the CD Drive Bay letter containing the Matthew Bender disc. In the right-side frame several files and/or folders will appear.
- Move the cursor to the top file/folder and single-click; highlighting it.
- Hold down the shift key while pressing on the down arrow button until all the files/folders in the right-side frame are highlighted.
- With the cursor over this group of files/folders, hold the left mouse button down while moving the entire group outline over to the previously created new folder on the Virtual CD Tower hard drive (ex: MB13245). This process is also known ad Drag-and-Drop copying.
- When the folder name (ex: MB12345) is highlighted, release the mouse button. The copying process will begin. The average Matthew Bender disc may take between 5 and 10 minutes to copy.
The Matthew Bender setup program must be run for each disc, or disc series. The program will request an individual password for each disc. In a multiple disc series only the first disc contains a setup program, but the path (i.e., d:\mb45678) to each disc's data must be entered at that time.